Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cycling in Canberra


The coach kindly agreed to take me on a short cycling intensive weekend to Canberra. It was a great break and most enjoyable cycling as there were very few places where we needed to cycle on the road. We stopped in at Floriade, the National Gallery and the War Memorial so made the most of staying in Tim's flat and its central location.

Luckily we managed two rides even though the weather was overcast, as is evident in the photo. The rain held off so there were no real dramas, although we suffered one swooping magpie attack. As I waved madly to fend off the bird, I thought thank goodness there aren't magpies in France! Only managed to clock up 25 kms and 18kms. The longer ride was a little hilly so I felt it in my legs the next day. Coach reminded me that as Iwas in a 'solo ride deficit ' I wasn't entitled to a coffee stop reward - got to earn his company!


Back home today for my first day of the October holidays. No riding today but hopefully the chilly, wet weather will improve and I'll be on my bike for a few solo rides over this week. Monica sent through a great article about cycling in France where the following cycling company was recommended. http://www.cyclomundo.com/
Looks like a very comprehensive site so I'll need to explore the many options and will post some more plans during this break.

2 comments:

  1. hope France proves to be a little more scenic

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't Lake Burley Griffin in case you're wondering. It's Lake Ginninderra over Belconnen way. This is the insider's Canberra your average tourist never gets to see. I did my best to show it in its best light!

    ReplyDelete